Congress Passes Highway Bill - 6/29/2012
After a series of last-minute negotiations, the House and Senate have each passed a bill reauthorizing the federal-aid highway and transit programs through September 30, 2014. The funding will remain at current levels, with a slight increase for inflation, at approximately $54 billion per year. All federal taxes on diesel fuel and gasoline, and all excise taxes on trucks, tractors, and tires, remain unchanged through September 30, 2016, and the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax remains unchanged through September 30, 2017.
- The bill requires DOT to issue a final rule within one year that all motor carriers engaged in interstate commerce must use electronic logging devices for compliance with the hours of service regulations;
- Also within one year, the FMCSA must issue a final rule establishing minimum entry-level training requirements for CMV drivers and standards for obtaining a hazardous materials endorsement, as well as certification for training providers;
- Within two years, the FMCSA must establish, operate, and maintain a national clearinghouse for records relating to alcohol and controlled substances testing of commercial motor vehicle operators;
- The bill also requires a rulemaking within two years to set out procedures and objective criteria for evaluating applications for hazmat special permits and approvals, and a means to incorporate longstanding special permits into the regulations.
- Finally, the bill increases the maximum civil penalties for violations of the HMRs from $50,000 to $75,000, and from $100,000 to $175,000 where the violation results in death, serious illness, or severe injury to any person or substantial destruction of property.
|11/27/2012||Welding Begins on Oregon Rail Project ...more | comments |
Welders will connect two, 80-foot lengths of rail by a thermite welding process that superheats aluminum, iron oxide and alloy elements to produce molten steel and permanently join the rails.
|11/27/2012||Airgas Chairman Sells 1.2 Million Shares ...more | comments |
Peter McCausland sells 1.2 million shares of Airgas common stock in privately negotiated overnight block trade.
|11/27/2012||New Gas Process for Controlled Ripening ...more | comments |
Researchers set to revolutionize fresh fruit industry with new technology that converts ethylene gas into a powder form.
|11/26/2012||Specialty Gas Growth Projections ...more | comments |
Report indicates slow and modest growth.
|11/26/2012||ITW Names Successor ...more | comments |
David Speer, ITW chairman and CEO, dies after illness. Scott Santi named successor.
|11/26/2012||Cee Kay Supply Healthy Employer Finalist ...more | comments |
Wellness program improves worker health.
|11/21/2012||Lucas-Milhaupt Acquires Inmet ...more | comments |
Company buys alloy maker and expands product line.
|11/21/2012||LNG Plant For Southwest Florida ...more | comments |
Air Products to build LNG plant in Florida.
|11/21/2012||Low-Supply Helium Makes Parade Appearance ...more | comments |
Should we be wasting our dwindling supply of helium on floating cartoon characters?
|11/14/2012||Lincoln Acquires Three Businesses ...more | comments |
Lincoln acquires shape cutting and engineered systems businesses.