Highway Bill Reauthorized through 2014 - 7/5/2012
The House and Senate have each passed a bill reauthorizing the federal-aid highway and transit programs through September 30, 2014. The funding will remain at current levels, with a slight increase for inflation, at approximately $54 billion per year. All federal taxes on diesel fuel and gasoline, and all excise taxes on trucks, tractors, and tires, remain unchanged through September 30, 2016, and the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax remains unchanged through September 30, 2017.
- The bill requires DOT to issue a final rule within one year that all motor carriers engaged in interstate commerce must use electronic logging devices for compliance with the hours of service regulations;
- Also within one year, the FMCSA must issue a final rule establishing minimum entry-level training requirements for CMV drivers and standards for obtaining a hazardous materials endorsement, as well as certification for training providers;
- Within two years, the FMCSA must establish, operate, and maintain a national clearinghouse for records relating to alcohol and controlled substances testing of commercial motor vehicle operators;
- The bill also requires a rulemaking within two years to set out procedures and objective criteria for evaluating applications for hazmat special permits and approvals, and a means to incorporate longstanding special permits into the regulations.
- Finally, the bill increases the maximum civil penalties for violations of the HMRs from $50,000 to $75,000, and from $100,000 to $175,000 where the violation results in death, serious illness, or severe injury to any person or substantial destruction of property.
|11/14/2012||Selling Argon for Winter Warmth ...more | comments |
Consumer-inflatable jacket uses argon for heat.
|11/14/2012||FABTECH Show Highlights Manufacturing ...more | comments |
Superior Products' Bob Ranc (L), GAWDA Membership Coordinator Cecilia Barbier, and Victor Technologies' Jim Horvath join 1,100 exhibitors and 25,000+ global visitors at FABTECH.
|11/13/2012||TWI Expands CryoScience Team ...more | comments |
Taylor-Wharton adds to CryoScience Management Team.
|11/13/2012||Mathey Dearman Creates Certified Service Program ...more | comments |
Companies plans 15 service centers across North America by late 2013.
|11/13/2012||A Visit to the Federal Helium Reserve ...more | comments |
Popular Mechanics visits BLM's federal reserve to find out where the helium is.
|11/12/2012||Osborn Celebrates 125 Years ...more | comments |
Company grows from brushes and brooms to over 10,000 metal finishing products.
|11/12/2012||Price of Polypropylene Increases ...more | comments |
Average North American selling price increases 2 cents per pound.
|11/12/2012||GAWDA Salutes Our Veterans ...more | comments |
Put America's best to work for you. It's right and it's smart.
|11/6/2012||Rotarex Adds Product Manager ...more | comments |
Distribution veteran Roza Vilner joins manufacturer.
|11/6/2012||Inspections ordered of A380 oxygen pressure systems for leaks. ...more | comments |
Mandatory inspections proposed on Airbus A380 emergency O2 pressure systems.