|More Headlines | RSS Feed|
From GAWDAwikiinert gas sometimes used in welding and soldering operations. Nitrogen is the most abundant gas in the air we breathe (78%), and is therefore a majority component in bottled breathing air (including SCUBA gases. One of the main uses of nitrogen is as a component in the generation ammonia (NH3) for fertilizers and explosives. It is also used in liquid form as an inexpensive cryogenic liquid.
- Atomic number: 7
- Atomic weight: 14.0067
- Melting point: -346.00°F (-210.00°C or 63.15 K)
- Boiling point: -320.44°F (-195.79°C or 77.36 K)
- Density: 0.0012506 grams per cubic centimeter
- Phase at room temperature: Gas
- Element classification: Non-metal
- Period number: 2
- Group number: 15
- Group name: Pnictogen
Click the following links to view line cards about nitrogen.